Sovyatnik - The Owl's Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sovyatnik - The Owl's Nest

Your Online Nestle

HomeHome  ÏîðòàëÏîðòàë  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your Yoga Handbook

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2006-04-06

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 8:31 pm

We all understand the benefits of Yoga. So lets get down do them. Here is what you need to get started.

Two things you must keep in mind -

1. Breathing
- never hold your breathe in any position...always breathe normally.

2. Relaxation
- try to keep the mind and body relaxed in any position, thats the essence of any asana. Never think of the problems of daily life or wishes and desires while doing any asana. Try to take your mind out of the world and see you as part of the universal force, Parabhrahma.

Last edited by on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Padmasana

Start with a relaxed sitting position as shown below

Your Yoga Handbook A575wv

This should be the start position of all asanas that are basically sitting.

Now spread both the legs and keep them apart by a distance of 1 to 1.5 feet.

Your Yoga Handbook A580bx

Bend left leg at the knee and place its toe on the right thigh and heel as close as possible to the groin of the left leg.

Your Yoga Handbook A599zv

Now do the same with the right leg.

Your Yoga Handbook A603ww

Keep the wrists of both the hands on the respective knees and take Dnyana Mudra as shown

Your Yoga Handbook A614nr

Your Yoga Handbook A564od

I hope you have been breathing normally all the time. It might be bit difficult to concentrate on everything for the first time, but take your time. With practice it will be just fine.

Now back to the asana. Keep breathing normally and always keep the backbone straight. Try to feel the unique sensation that slowly travels down your spine. Thats the essence of Padmasana. It is believed that in this position, the body blooms like a lotus. The minimum time to hold the position is around 2-3 minutes but you may extend it as per your feelings. The asana helps the backbone perform better, the Dhyana mudra helps soothe yor pulses.

There is another popular mudra with this asana called Anjali Mudra. Its very interesting that I couldnt find the correct picture showing this mudra anywhere. Almost all sites were showing wrong mudras as Anjali. Hope to find the right one soon.

Anyway happy practicing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mag
Wiser
Wiser
Mag

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2006-04-16

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Savyonok, thanks for the post. Are you a yoga guru? cyclops
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 10:58 pm

Anjali Mudra

Your Yoga Handbook Anjali0ea

Its my favourite mudra so I couldnt help making it myself for you to understand. The hands should be kept right under the navel touching your belly....thats the idea.
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 11:00 pm

Mag wrote:
Are you a yoga guru?
No, just a yogi! Wink
Back to top Go down
Mag
Wiser
Wiser
Mag

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 11:35 pm

Wow! hurray May I ask few more questions?! For how long have you been practising and how did you learn?
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 11:38 pm

We used to have yoga classes in our school, so even after schooling, I kept practising it. Still do it whenever I get some time in the morning before going to work.
Back to top Go down
Mag
Wiser
Wiser
Mag

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 11:44 pm

Cool! spinflower
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Apr 26, 2006 11:46 pm

Are you into Yoga, Mag? Smile
Back to top Go down
Mag
Wiser
Wiser
Mag

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyThu Apr 27, 2006 12:13 am

I've been doing it some years ago, first started when my parents brought me a book about yoga from the library... and then not as much as I'd like... Rolling Eyes But I'm definitely interested. Ok let me try to do padmasana... let's see if I still can... monkey
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyThu Apr 27, 2006 12:17 am

Very Happy Give us a call if your legs get stuck. Laughing

Anyway...hope this topic will help you a lot. Do keep asking questions and keep practicing! bestluck
Back to top Go down
Mag
Wiser
Wiser
Mag

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyThu Apr 27, 2006 12:32 am

Uh.. that was fine... Bear Dance speaking honestly it's not been so long since I tried it last time, I just forgot. Rolling Eyes Only I never can stay in this asana for more than 1 minute, it's getting uncomfortable, and it's easier with the right leg on top...

Quote :
hope this topic will help you a lot.

Yeah thank you! Keep posting! hurray Besides I really need something to motivate me. Pepsi
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyThu Apr 27, 2006 7:22 am

Shavasana

This asana derives from the word Shava means a corpse...dead body. The idea is to lay like a dead body. This asana gets rid of exertion and fatigue, relaxes the whole body. The importance of this asana is that we would be always doing this asana after any asana/excercise that is tiring and strains you.

Begin with laying down completely.

Your Yoga Handbook A290ec

One important point - do not do yoga on soft beds, always make sure the surface is firm like a hard matress or a carpet. It would be terrible if the bed shapes and curves with the body, might even cause sprains or injuries. In fact, it is recommended that you always do yoga on such firm matress/carpet and never try any asana whatsoever on soft bed or surface.

So lets continue with Shavasana.

Spread both the legs and keep them apart by around 1 or 1.5 feet. Keep the heels facing inside and allow the toes to fall outside and relax them. Actually I recommend just relaxing the whole body, no matter how it falls. Just let them go loose and relax every inch of your muscle.

Your Yoga Handbook A309js

Now take both the hands little away from the body, about the gap of your palm, and relax them. Keep the palms facing the roof and the fingers relaxed...let them curl in if they do...dont put any pressure anywhere.

Your Yoga Handbook A310vp

Now relax your head and the muscles of the face. Keep the eyes closed with ease and without pressure. Continue breathing normally and slowly.

Your Yoga Handbook A327hr

Though this asana is the easiest, it has great importance in relaxation. Whenever you are tired, you can try this asana. It would be an added advantage if you try to meditate inside or on any object for more concentration. Try to feel out of the body since it is completely relaxed now. Do not think of troubles of daily life, desires, wishes. Just relax and try to feel out of the body. Thats the essence of Shavasana.

Remember, we can do this asana after any asana/excersice that tires us. The minimum time to hold is 5 minutes but you may extend as long as you feel like. This asana helps bring down blood pressure, relaxes the heart too.

One more point - to release from the asana, do the reverse steps and do them slowly.
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyTue May 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Vajrasana

Start with the sitting position.

Your Yoga Handbook A575wv

Fold each leg at the knee and place the toes together on the floor.

Your Yoga Handbook A874de

Now part the heels, make a pit and sit in it.

Your Yoga Handbook A883hj

Place the palms on the knees, hold the spine straight and breathe normally.

Your Yoga Handbook A890pv

Hold the asana for at least 2 minutes. Do not put any pressure on hands while sitting. Look straight to the front keeping the head straight too. Concentrate on any point. You may close your eyes and concentrate inside if that makes you feel better. As you get more and more comfortable with practice, hold the asana for longer time.

This asana controls the blood circulation to the portions below the waist and helps enhance digestion and metabolism. The name Vajra derives from an element known for its strength and hardness and was used to make Maces for war. This asana when performed regularly can make your body metabolism so strong that it can even digest a vajra.
Back to top Go down
savyonok
Elder
Elder
savyonok

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyTue May 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Bhujangasana

Lay down upon your belly, prone on the surface.

Your Yoga Handbook A214ef

Bring both the hands close to the chest and place palms on the floor with fingers together pointing to the front and the thumbs drawn towards the body. Elbows of both the hands should be kept raised towards the sky.

Your Yoga Handbook A337yl

While inhaling/taking breathe in slowly, gradually raise the forehead, then the chin, chest and neck, and curve the spine gently. Keeping the waist, thighs and knees pressed to the floor, raise the upper part of the body only upto the naval. In this position the hands remain bent in the elbows, and the palms placed firmly on the ground. After taking this final position, continue normal breathing.

Your Yoga Handbook A347br

Try not to put pressure on the hands. Keep the pressure on the spine. Hold it for at least 7 seconds. You may keep it longer with more practice and as you get more and more comfortable holding it. First-timers might feel some sensation across the spine while trying first time or trying after a break. After holding for 7 seconds, slowly return to the supine position and rest the body. Try to keep the spine relax till the sensation subsides. You may do Shavasana after it too.

The name derives from Bhujanga means Snake. The body is raised like a snake raising its head. This asana enhances the efficiency of the spine, makes it flexible, increases the blood supply. Also removes the fat around the waist to some extent.

This asana is not recommended for people having spondilysis or any other problem of spine/back.
Back to top Go down
smetanka
Wiser
Wiser
smetanka

Number of posts : 424

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Nov 08, 2006 5:34 am

Links to download music for yoga practice, i found really nice things. And hope Neel wil post smth more about asanas Wink

http://www.yogin.ru/parser.php?p_id=5&r_id=44

http://rus.sanga.lv/modules.php?op=modload&name=Andromeda&file=index&q=f&f=%2FAudio%2FMusic

http://www.acukorea.com/Meditation/meditation_main.htm

If you find more post here please! I think many like new age and ethnic music, as for me I do, a lot!
Back to top Go down
yulika
Guardian
Guardian
yulika

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyTue Nov 20, 2007 9:11 am

savyonok wrote:
We all understand the benefits of Yoga. So lets get down do them. Here is what you need to get started.

Two things you must keep in mind -

1. Breathing
- never hold your breathe in any position...always breathe normally.
Well, I am not an expert in yoga, but some yogacharyas say that you don't have to hold your breath in any position, whereas some of them do point out that you can hold your breath if you feel like doing. I am sorry if I am repeating somebody's post, I just didn't have the patience to read up to the end Very Happy That's who I am - an impatiend ulli Razz

And please, keep posting Smile I hope, i'll get down to yoga seriosuly some time
Back to top Go down
MG_
Elder
Elder
MG_

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 8:25 pm

and I would like to discuss the differences bw raja yoga, hatha yoga, aiengar yoga etc.

I practised raja yaga monkey
Back to top Go down
http://productivnost.narod.ru
Sponsored content

Your Yoga Handbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Yoga Handbook   Your Yoga Handbook Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Yoga Handbook
Page 1 of 1